hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release candidate 0.20.203.0-rc1
Date Thu, 05 May 2011 01:24:43 GMT
Non-biding -1.

I did download it and checked it out, but when I look at the
documentation I see it says "Hadoop 0.20 documentation" in the tab on
top. From what I can tell this isn't the branch 0.20 so I think it's
an error and from a user point of view this looks more like something
I would call 0.22 (although yes I understand this is 0.20 +security
+whatever).

Why would a single company push so hard to go against the "normal"
release process just for "the benefit of putting our work in the hands
of all hadoop users" is beyond me. It's not like people were begging
on the mailing lists to be able to get their hands on such a release
to the point where an emergency point release including tons of new
features is needed.

So to me the more logical reason would be monetary gains, that I would
understand better from a for-profit company. But then why go through
the hurdles of having such an ASF release when Y! isn't even selling
anything remotely related to Hadoop services? And why now?

But then there's this spinoff thing and it suddenly makes a lot more sense.

E14 said earlier that "That is how apache works."

I would say yes, maybe this is how it works, but I'm not sure I want
to see it working like _that_. The ASF shouldn't be the vehicle for a
single (future) company's wishes.

J-D

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Owen O'Malley <omalley@apache.org> wrote:
> Here's an updated release candidate for 0.20.203.0. I've incorporated the feedback and
included all of the patches from 0.20.2, which is the last stable release. I also fixed the
eclipse-plugin problem.