hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eli Collins <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release candidate 0.20.203.0-rc1
Date Wed, 04 May 2011 22:03:29 GMT
On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Owen O'Malley <omalley@apache.org> wrote:
> Here's an updated release candidate for 0.20.203.0. I've incorporated the feedback and
included all of the patches from 0.20.2, which is the last stable release. I also fixed the
eclipse-plugin problem.

> The candidate is at: http://people.apache.org/~omalley/hadoop-0.20.203.0-rc1/
>
> Please download it, inspect it, compile it, and test it. Clearly, I'm +1.
>
> -- Owen

While rc2 is an improvement on rc1, I am -1 on this particular rc.  Rationale:

This rc contains many patches not yet committed to trunk. This would
cause the next major release (0.22) to be a feature regression against
our latest stable release (203), were 0.22 released soon.

This rc contains many patches not yet reviewed by the community via
the normal process (jira, patch against trunk, merge to a release
branch). I think we should respect the existing community process that
has been used for all previous releases.

This rc introduces a new development and braching model (new feature
development outside trunk) and Hadoop versioning scheme without
sufficient discussion or proposal of these changes with the community.

We should establish new process before the release, a release is not
the appropriate mechanism for changing our review and development
process or versioning .

I do support a release from branch-0.20-security that follows the
existing, established community process.

Thanks,
Eli