hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release candidate 0.20.203.0-rc1
Date Thu, 05 May 2011 06:52:34 GMT
Roy,

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 7:22 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
> The ASF is a vehicle for whomever wishes to collaborate on a
> given project.  Collaboration means helping do the work.  Those
> who do the work may do so for whatever reasons that they think
> are good, whether it is because they feel like being charitable
> today, they get paid a salary and the big boss said "work on
> this part", or because they just have an itch worth scratching.
>
> Apache does not care why people choose to collaborate or
> how they choose to apply their own intellectual efforts.  We
> welcome all forms of contribution under the terms of our license.

I don't think I was arguing against the contribution of the code in
that branch, it's very welcome, but I'm questioning (and ranting
about) the motivation for releasing a version that even just by name
is a weird hulla-hoop around the usual development practices that
Hadoop has had in the past (not that it's set in stone).

So I wanted to contribute my negative non-binding vote to highlight
that this release is probably very confusing for the general user.
This is 0.20, but it's not. Also it has more numbers, and it starts at
203. Why doing this at all instead of just moving on with 0.22? Or is
0.22 bound to be like 0.21? It almost begs the question if this should
be called 0.22.0 then.

> What we do require is a certain amount of civility regarding
> our voting procedures and an emphasis on individual responsibility
> for your votes.  Anyone caught *voting* a particular way just
> because the boss says so will be dealt with severely.  Votes
> are how we do quality control and make decisions, and no other
> company can be allowed to make decisions for our non-profit.

Yeah I don't think that's a problem here, everyone seem to have their
very own strong opinions.