hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eli Collins <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Defining Hadoop Compatibility -revisiting-
Date Mon, 16 May 2011 21:29:00 GMT
On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Allen Wittenauer <aw@apache.org> wrote:

> On May 16, 2011, at 2:09 PM, Eli Collins wrote:
>>
>> Allen,
>>
>> There are few things in Hadoop in CDH that are not in trunk,
>> branch-20-security, or branch-20-append.  The stuff in this category
>> is not major (eg HADOOP-6605, better JAVA_HOME detection).
>
>        But that's my point:  when is it no longer Apache Hadoop?  How major does
a change need to be under the line?    In the case of CDH2 and 3, in order to test it out,
I actually had to back out some of Cloudera's "improvements" in order to even test whereas
I didn't under Apache.  Is this another place where we only seem to care about APIs and say
to hell with the rest of the stack?

I don't think anyone is saying to hell with the rest of the stack, and
 everyone I've spoken to is on-board with a future release that
doesn't require lots of backporting from feature branches.

Thanks,
Eli