hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Owen O'Malley <omal...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Defining Hadoop Compatibility -revisiting-
Date Tue, 31 May 2011 22:08:22 GMT

On May 24, 2011, at 9:23 AM, Steve Loughran wrote:

> I've drafted a policy on the wiki based on this discussion.
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Defining%20Hadoop
>
> Others need to look at, edit, etc, then we can vote on whether to take it into the managed
documentation.

I think it looks great. Thanks for your work at drafting it, Steve. It addresses the rapidly
growing problem of

Do we need the escape clause that states "or other products which have written approval from
the VP, Apache Brand Management?" I think that will just cause lots of petitions from the
numerous companies with rationalizations about why their exception should be allowed. If we
limit Hadoop to mean precisely the Apache releases, there is no ambiguity or room to argue.

-- Owen