hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release candidate 0.20.203.0-rc0
Date Mon, 02 May 2011 22:05:42 GMT
Most points in this thread are valid, having to do with the process of how the contribution
was assembled; and specific technical aspects of it, e.g. JIRAs missing from branch 0.20.203
relative to branch 0.20. However,

> From: Doug Cutting <cutting@apache.org>
> > Assuming the technical inconsistencies are sorted out,
> > are you willing to withdraw you objection?
>
> These are not just technical concerns.  How I vote on any future
> release candidate will in part depend on how the community is
> involved in its production.

What strikes me, as an observer to this discussion, is that here "community" does not seem
equated with Yahoo by implication. Perhaps I misread. Nevertheless, Yahoo retains a good percentage
of active Core developers with standing as both committers and high scale users, and these
people produced the contribution that is branch 0.20.203, and therefore by definition "the
community" was entirely involved in its production.

Yahoo should be commended for advancing the state of branch 0.20 with an obvious commitment
to donating the results to Apache. As a community we are lucky to have a strong contributor.
Their security enhancements allow us and many others the option of strong authentication and
user isolation for multitenant deployments.

A commercial vendor's product already incorporates Yahoo's donated security enhancements.
It would be regrettable if nontechnical factors ultimately prevents Apache from incorporating
the value of these contributions into an official release.

Some technical concerns seem reasonable. Regarding that:

> From: Stack <stack@duboce.net>
> How hard would it be to get the patches Tom lists below into
> branch-0.20-security-203?  I'd think it'd be an easier
> sell if it were a superset of all in 0.20, especially since it
> bears its name.

This suggestion makes a lot of sense. In addition, filing JIRAs for and posting the diffs
of the remaining differences could help the process as well, and would be good faith actions
of an active contributor.

Best regards,

    - Andy