hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer <awittena...@linkedin.com>
Subject Re: Defining Hadoop Compatibility -revisiting-
Date Mon, 16 May 2011 21:42:54 GMT

On May 16, 2011, at 2:29 PM, Eli Collins wrote:

> On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Allen Wittenauer <aw@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On May 16, 2011, at 2:09 PM, Eli Collins wrote:
>>>
>>> Allen,
>>>
>>> There are few things in Hadoop in CDH that are not in trunk,
>>> branch-20-security, or branch-20-append.  The stuff in this category
>>> is not major (eg HADOOP-6605, better JAVA_HOME detection).
>>
>>        But that's my point:  when is it no longer Apache Hadoop?  How major does
a change need to be under the line?    In the case of CDH2 and 3, in order to test it out,
I actually had to back out some of Cloudera's "improvements" in order to even test whereas
I didn't under Apache.  Is this another place where we only seem to care about APIs and say
to hell with the rest of the stack?

> I don't think anyone is saying to hell with the rest of the stack, and
> everyone I've spoken to is on-board with a future release that
> doesn't require lots of backporting from feature branches.

	You've missed my point.

	Does "Hadoop compatibility" and the ability to say "includes Apache Hadoop" only apply when
we're talking about MR and HDFS APIs?