hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release candidate 0.20.203.0-rc1
Date Thu, 05 May 2011 02:12:38 GMT
Speculation either on the motives of those objecting to a release or of those making contributions
or proposing a release does not advance progress. The accusations and counter-accusations
seen on this thread are regrettable and I feel less and less confident in the future of Apache
Hadoop as time goes on. As a strong believer in and advocate of open source as an answer to
technical and architectural challenges, I am pained to see the members of what should be a
vibrant community litigating in an ultimately self-defeating way. If only this energy put
into argument could be channeled into code or patches...

In open source, if opinions were code we would rule the world.

So what of this candidate?

Artifact looks good, DFS tests are good, MR tests are good. Looked over some of the documentation
and found no errors. To my knowledge this is now a superset of branch-0.20, addressing the
reasonably determined deficit of rc0.

There seems no reason other issues cannot be addressed subsequently.

There has not been a release of Apache Hadoop 0.20 since at least Feb 6 2010 yet since this
time important security enhancements have been contributed, but in the form of an Apache product
these are only available as patches on a non-release branch. Forward progress of the Apache
product seems more important than achieving the perfect release in all eyes.

For example, append features remain on a non-release branch. I would really have liked to
see the append changes included in this candidate, but this is not grounds for objection merely
regret, and I hope this can be covered by a subsequent release, perhaps soon.

After security and append features are in 0.20, in my personal humble opinion the 0.20 release
in total is sufficient and all attention should be paid to the next release (0.22 or whatever),
except for critical bug fixes.

+1

Best regards,

    - Andy