hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Defining Hadoop Compatibility -revisiting-
Date Mon, 16 May 2011 11:20:24 GMT
On 13/05/11 07:16, Doug Cutting wrote:
> Certification semms like mission creep.  Our mission is to produce
> open-source software.  If we wish to produce testing software, that
> seems fine.  But running a certification program for non-open-source
> software seems like a different task.

+1

That said, some stricter definition of public interfaces may be useful
for the related projects, as a consistent open source stack is strongly
beneficial.

> The Hadoop mark should only be used to refer to open-source software
> produced by the ASF.  If other folks wish to make factual statements
> concerning our software, e.g., that their proprietary software passes
> tests that we've created, that may be fine, but I don't think we should
> validate those claims by granting certifications to institutions.  That
> ventures outside the mission of the ASF.  We are not an accrediting
> organization.

+1. Apache is not a standards body, except in the form of "de-facto
standards defined by working code and their test suite"

What it does have a strict rules about naming. We should formalise them
and publish them on the wiki, then whenever some product gets
press-released (it's like a beta-release, only earlier in the
lifecycle), the vendor can be directed to the page and reminded of the
T&Cs of the license and any trade marks.

What does this mean for T-Shirts and Stickers, incidentally?