hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] development process of Hadoop
Date Fri, 06 May 2011 12:44:56 GMT
On 05/05/11 18:52, Todd Lipcon wrote:
> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 10:32 AM, Eric Yang<eyang@yahoo-inc.com>  wrote:
>
>> Git is powerful in maintaining different branch of the source code.
>>   However, it will only work if the entire community is willing to move to
>> git.  Maintaining svn and git hybrid, is a time consuming task that we are
>> paying in full price.  Hadoop community should work smarter for the source
>> control.  What do people think about fully adopting git instead of svn?
>>

> +1 for Git as a tool. But using git makes it even _more_ important that we
> have a clearly defined release process that outlines which branches are
> meant to be released as official artifacts, and what the inclusion criteria
> for those branches should be.

I'm +0.9995 for git: some bits I like, some bits I don't (it's awful for
binary data). And you need more than just a release process locked down,
you need the developers understanding following a good process. If you
have written down process docs there, I'd love to see them.

apache infrastructure are discussing git -what would be best would be to
start with a non-critical project, such as one or more of the moved
contrib projects (like MR-Unit), so we can see that it, gerrit, etc work
well within the Hadoop developer world.