hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Matthew Foley <ma...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Defining Hadoop Compatibility -revisiting-
Date Tue, 17 May 2011 17:53:07 GMT
> Constructions like, "Acme Foo powered by Apache Bar" are generally permitted...

Hi Doug,
Great document, very typical of company Trademark Policy documents.
It needs to be read in conjunction with the FAQ at
        http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/
which is where the "powered by" mark usage is authorized.
The "Apache Project Branding Requirements" for PMCs,
        http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs.html
goes into more depth, apparently covering all of what I said in my prior email,
and more.

The FAQ about the "powered by" usage is not a general permission to use
similar constructions; rather it states 8 prescriptive guidelines for exactly
how it is okay to use this specific construction.  The first one of those
requirements is that it can only be used for:
        "products or services that are supersets of the functionality of an Apache
        product, or services [that] are run atop Apache products"

And this statement of permission in the publicly available FAQ constitutes a license,
so it is imprecise to say that ASF doesn't license its trademarks. :-)

The Project Branding page authorizes PMCs to develop their own "Powered by <project>"

or "<project> Inside" programs.  Has the Hadoop PMC done so?  Is there a web page
for that?  Our "PoweredBy" page is only a list of companies and products.

I do need to clarify one thing I said below w.r.t. the "Apache Hadoop" construction.
It's perfectly fine to say "Apache Hadoop" as long as there is NOT ALSO a "Yahoo Hadoop",
a "Cloudera Hadoop", and an "EMC Hadoop".  And indeed such competing usages are
forbidden by this very fine Trademark Policy document, while mandating the "Apache
Hadoop" usage.

Cheers,
--Matt