hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eric Baldeschwieler <eri...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Discussions - Re: [VOTE] Release candidate 0.20.203.0-rc0
Date Mon, 02 May 2011 20:05:14 GMT

Hi folks,

This strikes me as a bit odd. I think we have already discussed this at length and agreed
that a release could proceed.

Since then, Arun and Owen have worked actively to incorporated community feedback into this
release.

All parties making Hadoop releases other then Apache have already incorporated most of the
patches in this release into their products, including doug's organization. I don't see how
Hadoop's users benefit from Apache not incorporating them into an Apache release.

As previously discussed, all parties are welcome to champion altenative releases from Apache
if they want to invest in making Apache Hadoop better.

Thanks!!

E14

---
E14 - typing on glass

On May 2, 2011, at 12:16 PM, "Ian Holsman" <hadoop@holsman.net> wrote:

> moving this thread to general@
>
> On May 3, 2011, at 3:58 AM, Doug Cutting wrote:
>
>>> Should we release
>>> http://people.apache.org/~omalley/hadoop-0.20.203.0-rc0/?
>>
>> The patch selection process for this branch did not appear to be a
>> community process.  A massive patch set was committed en-masse with no
>> public discussion before or after about its specific composition.
>
> guys...
> 1. do we agree this is an issue
> 2. if it is, how we do get the communication & discussion on list?
>
> what do people think are the major issues that are stopping people talking about stuff
on list are?