hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eric Sammer <esam...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] development process of Hadoop
Date Sat, 07 May 2011 06:15:54 GMT
I think I speak for all the other mrunit committers when I say we're
happy to be the guinea pigs on this.

On May 6, 2011, at 5:45 AM, Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org> wrote:

> On 05/05/11 18:52, Todd Lipcon wrote:
>> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 10:32 AM, Eric Yang<eyang@yahoo-inc.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Git is powerful in maintaining different branch of the source code.
>>>  However, it will only work if the entire community is willing to move to
>>> git.  Maintaining svn and git hybrid, is a time consuming task that we are
>>> paying in full price.  Hadoop community should work smarter for the source
>>> control.  What do people think about fully adopting git instead of svn?
>>>

>> +1 for Git as a tool. But using git makes it even _more_ important that we
>> have a clearly defined release process that outlines which branches are
>> meant to be released as official artifacts, and what the inclusion criteria
>> for those branches should be.
>>

> I'm +0.9995 for git: some bits I like, some bits I don't (it's awful for binary data).
And you need more than just a release process locked down, you need the developers understanding
following a good process. If you have written down process docs there, I'd love to see them.

> apache infrastructure are discussing git -what would be best would be to start with a
non-critical project, such as one or more of the moved contrib projects (like MR-Unit), so
we can see that it, gerrit, etc work well within the Hadoop developer world.