hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Yahoo focusing on Apache Hadoop, discontinuing "The Yahoo Distribution of Hadoop"
Date Fri, 08 Apr 2011 18:08:37 GMT
On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 10:34 AM, Arun C Murthy <acm@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> On Apr 7, 2011, at 4:22 PM, Todd Lipcon wrote:
>
>  Is there a list available of which patches you've made this decision
>> about? I'm curious, for example, about MAPREDUCE-2178 -- as of today, the MR
>> security in trunk has a serious vulnerability. Do we plan on fixing it, or
>> will the answer be that, if anyone needs security, they must update to "MR
>> Next Gen"?
>>

> Apologies if my original message was abstruse - I want to ensure that there
> is no confusion between 'forward-port' and 'merge from yahoo-merge branch'.
>
> Let me try to explain again: there are several forward ports from the
> hadoop-0.20-2xx (branch-0.20-security) which are complete, including
> MAPREDUCE-2178. They are currently part of the 'yahoo-merge' branch in
> MapReduce. These are awaiting a merge into trunk. Trunk (with a few merges
> from yahoo-merge) will have a complete security implementation.

Ah, OK, I see. That makes sense.

> My message was intended to highlight some small number of features/bugs
> which are/will-be in hadoop-0.20.2xx. Here is a nearly complete list of such
> jiras: MAPREDUCE-517, MAPREDUCE-1872, MAPREDUCE-291, MAPREDUCE-2418,
> MAPREDUCE-2409, MAPREDUCE-2411. I'll check to ensure there aren't others.

Looking briefly at those, it seems that the ones that are clear bugs (with
small fixes) should be put in the current MR implementation:
MAPREDUCE-2411
MAPREDUCE-2409
MAPREDUCE-2418 (maybe)

These all have patches that are pretty small, and I'd imagine would apply
pretty easily to trunk. Let me know if you'd like any help forward-porting.

The other ones, as new features/improvements, I'd agree it makes sense not
to waste effort re-implementing them for trunk MR, but rather to make sure
they're incorporated in next-gen.

-Todd
--
Todd Lipcon