hadoop-general mailing list archives

From John Meagher <john.meag...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Applications creates bigger output than input?
Date Fri, 29 Apr 2011 13:12:33 GMT
Another case is augmenting data.  This is sometimes done outside of MR
in an ETL flow, but can be done as an MR job.  Doing something like
this is using Hadoop to handle the scaling issues, but really isn't
what MR is intended for.

A real example of this is:

* Input: standard apache weblog
* Data added...
  - Geolocation of IP
  - Decoding URL
  - Adding information based on visited URL / Ref URL ...
  - Adding information based on the user
* Output complex binary object to a sequence file