hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Owen O'Malley <omal...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HADOOP-7106: Re-organize hadoop subversion layout
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2011 15:00:16 GMT

On Apr 19, 2011, at 10:58 PM, Todd Lipcon wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 10:20 PM, Todd Lipcon <todd@cloudera.com> wrote:
>

>> I'm currently looking into how the git mirrors are setup in Apache-land.

Uh, why isn't infra-dev on this thread?

For those on infra-dev, the context is that Nigel is trying to merge together the source trees
of the Hadoop sub-projects that were split apart 2 years ago. So he is taking:

prefix = http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/

$prefix/common/trunk -> $prefix/trunk/common
$prefix/hdfs/trunk -> $prefix/trunk/hdfs
$prefix/mapreduce/trunk -> $prefix/trunk/mapreduce

and play similar games with the rest of the branches and tags. For more details look at HADOOP-7106.

From the project split, subversion was able to track the history across the subversion moves
between projects, but not git.

Four questions:
 1. Is there anything we can do to minimize the history loss in git?
 2. Are we going to be able to preserve our sha's or are they going to change again?
 3. What changes do we need to make to the subversion notification file?
 4. Are there any other changes that need to be coordinated?

After considering it this morning, I believe that the least disruptive move is to leave common
at the same url and merge hdfs and mapreduce back in:

$prefix/common/trunk/* -> $prefix/common/trunk/common/*
$prefix/hdfs/trunk -> $prefix/common/trunk/hdfs
$prefix/mapreduce/trunk -> $prefix/common/trunk/mapreduce

This will preserve the hashes and history for common (and the 20 branches). We'll still need
to play git voodoo to get git history for hdfs and mapreduce, but it is far better than starting
a brand new git clone.

-- Owen