hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Yahoo focusing on Apache Hadoop, discontinuing "The Yahoo Distribution of Hadoop"
Date Fri, 08 Apr 2011 17:34:22 GMT
Todd,

On Apr 7, 2011, at 4:22 PM, Todd Lipcon wrote:

> Is there a list available of which patches you've made this decision
> about? I'm curious, for example, about MAPREDUCE-2178 -- as of
> today, the MR security in trunk has a serious vulnerability. Do we
> plan on fixing it, or will the answer be that, if anyone needs
> security, they must update to "MR Next Gen"?

Apologies if my original message was abstruse - I want to ensure that
there is no confusion between 'forward-port' and 'merge from yahoo-
merge branch'.

Let me try to explain again: there are several forward ports from the
hadoop-0.20-2xx (branch-0.20-security) which are complete, including
MAPREDUCE-2178. They are currently part of the 'yahoo-merge' branch in
MapReduce. These are awaiting a merge into trunk. Trunk (with a few
merges from yahoo-merge) will have a complete security implementation.

My message was intended to highlight some small number of features/
bugs which are/will-be in hadoop-0.20.2xx. Here is a nearly complete
list of such jiras: MAPREDUCE-517, MAPREDUCE-1872, MAPREDUCE-291,
MAPREDUCE-2418, MAPREDUCE-2409, MAPREDUCE-2411. I'll check to ensure
there aren't others.

Hope that makes sense. Again, apologies for any confusion I've caused.

thanks,
Arun