hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Nigel Daley <nda...@mac.com>
Subject Re: HADOOP-7106: Re-organize hadoop subversion layout
Date Thu, 21 Apr 2011 04:42:26 GMT
Owen, I'll admit I'm not familiar with all the git details/issues in your proposal, but I think
the layout change you propose is fine and seems to solve the git issues with very minimal
impact on the layout.

Let's shoot for doing this next Friday, April 29 at 2pm PDT.  I'll update the patch and send
out a reminder about this later next week.

Thanks,
Nige

On Apr 20, 2011, at 8:00 AM, Owen O'Malley wrote:

> On Apr 19, 2011, at 10:58 PM, Todd Lipcon wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 10:20 PM, Todd Lipcon <todd@cloudera.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I'm currently looking into how the git mirrors are setup in Apache-land.
>
> Uh, why isn't infra-dev on this thread?
>
> For those on infra-dev, the context is that Nigel is trying to merge together the source
trees of the Hadoop sub-projects that were split apart 2 years ago. So he is taking:

> prefix = http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/
>
> $prefix/common/trunk -> $prefix/trunk/common
> $prefix/hdfs/trunk -> $prefix/trunk/hdfs
> $prefix/mapreduce/trunk -> $prefix/trunk/mapreduce
>
> and play similar games with the rest of the branches and tags. For more details look
at HADOOP-7106.

> From the project split, subversion was able to track the history across the subversion
moves between projects, but not git.

> Four questions:
> 1. Is there anything we can do to minimize the history loss in git?
> 2. Are we going to be able to preserve our sha's or are they going to change again?
> 3. What changes do we need to make to the subversion notification file?
> 4. Are there any other changes that need to be coordinated?
>
> After considering it this morning, I believe that the least disruptive move is to leave
common at the same url and merge hdfs and mapreduce back in:

> $prefix/common/trunk/* -> $prefix/common/trunk/common/*
> $prefix/hdfs/trunk -> $prefix/common/trunk/hdfs
> $prefix/mapreduce/trunk -> $prefix/common/trunk/mapreduce
>
> This will preserve the hashes and history for common (and the 20 branches). We'll still
need to play git voodoo to get git history for hdfs and mapreduce, but it is far better than
starting a brand new git clone.