hadoop-general mailing list archives

From "Segel, Mike" <mse...@navteq.com>
Subject RE: Hadoop in Canada
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2011 18:43:20 GMT
Funny...
But the COBOL model kind of lends itself to Hadoop.
It would be interesting to work on a migration project...

-----Original Message-----
From: jdcryans@gmail.com [mailto:jdcryans@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Jean-Daniel Cryans
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 12:34 PM
To: general@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Hadoop in Canada

(moving to general@ since this is not a question regarding the usage
of the hadoop commons, which I BCC'd)

I moved from Montreal to SF a year and a half ago because I saw two
things 1) companies weren't interested (they are still trying to get
rid of COBOL or worse) or didn't have the data to use Hadoop (not
enough big companies) and 2) the universities were either uninterested
or just amused by this "new comer". I know of one company that really
does cool stuff with Hadoop in Montreal and it's Hopper
(www.hopper.travel, they are still in closed alpha AFAIK) who also
organized hackreduce.org last weekend. This is what their CEO has to
say to the question "Is there something you would do differently now
if you would start it over?":

Move to the Valley.

(see the rest here
http://nextmontreal.com/product-market-fit-hopper-travel-fred-lalonde/)

I'm sure there are a lot of other companies that are either
considering using or already using Hadoop to some extent in Canada
but, like anything else, only a portion of them are interested in
talking about it or even organizing an event.

I would actually love to see something getting organized and I'd be on
the first plane to Y**, but I'm afraid that to achieve any sort of
critical mass you'd have to fly in people from all the provinces. Air
Canada becomes a SPOF :P

Now that I think about it, there's probably enough Canucks around here
that use Hadoop that we could have our own little user group. If you
want to have a nice vacation and geek out with us, feel free to stop
by and say hi.

</rant>

J-D

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 6:21 AM, James Seigel <james@tynt.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> You might remember me from a couple of weeks back asking if there were any Calgary people
interested in a "meetup" about #bigdata or using hadoop.  Well, I've expanded my search a
little to see if any of my Canadian brothers and sisters are using the elephant for good or
for evil.  It might be harder to grab coffee, but it would be fun to see where everyone is.

> Shout out if you'd like or ping me, I think it'd be fun to chat!
>
> Cheers
> James Seigel
> Captain Hammer at Tynt.com

or paper files.