hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Nigel Daley <nda...@mac.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move common, hdfs, mapreduce contrib components to apache-extras.org or elsewhere
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2011 06:35:25 GMT
Hi Chris,

You use the word 'project' over and over.  These contrib modules are not Apache projects.
 They are source code directories within the various Hadoop subprojects. Reading thru attic.apache.org,
I don't see how it directly relates.  Surely not every 'svn remove <dir>' should be
replaced with a move to attic.apache.org.

Cheers,
Nige

On Feb 9, 2011, at 7:37 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:

> Hi Nigel,
>
> My 2 cents -- why is Hadoop re-creating its own mini-Attic? The point of the umbrella
project shakedown over the past year at Apache is to stop projects from recreating things
like the Incubator (and the Attic) inside of the project.

> One suggestion: for your [VOTE] thread that you are calling -- if the result is to attic
the project -- move it to the "real" Apache Attic, via a board resolution (you could do a
single board resolution from the Hadoop PMC to the Apache Board containing the set of projects
to Attic).

> Cheers,
> Chris
>
> On Feb 9, 2011, at 9:11 AM, Nigel Daley wrote:
>
>> After considering the feedback, I will move forward with calling a separate vote
for each contrib (or small groups of contribs). The vote will ask the PMC to abandon the given
contrib or move it to core.  For those we agree to abandon, I will setup an Attic wiki that
will point to the last SVN revision of the contrib.  I will also start a Related Projects
wiki (if we don't already have one) with pointers to the contrib modules that folks have volunteered
to keep developing elsewhere.

>> Cheers,
>> Nige
>>
>> On Jan 30, 2011, at 7:42 PM, Nigel Daley wrote:
>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> Now that http://apache-extras.org is launched (https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/the_apache_software_foundation_launches)
I'd like to start a discussion on moving contrib components out of common, mapreduce, and
hdfs.

>>> These contrib components complicate the builds, cause test failures that nobody
seems to care about, have releases that are tied to Hadoop's long release cycles, etc.  Most
folks I've talked with agree that these contrib components would be better served by being
pulled out of Hadoop and hosted elsewhere. The new apache-extras code hosting site seems like
a natural *default* location for migrating these contrib projects.  Perhaps some should graduate
from contrib to src (ie from contrib to core of the project they're included in).  If folks
agree, we'll need to come up with a mapping of contrib component to it's final destination
and file a jira.

>>> Here are the contrib components by project (hopefully I didn't miss any).
>>>
>>> Common Contrib:
>>> failmon
>>> hod
>>> test