hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Nigel Daley <nda...@mac.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move common, hdfs, mapreduce contrib components to apache-extras.org or elsewhere
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2011 17:11:43 GMT
After considering the feedback, I will move forward with calling a separate vote for each contrib
(or small groups of contribs). The vote will ask the PMC to abandon the given contrib or move
it to core.  For those we agree to abandon, I will setup an Attic wiki that will point to
the last SVN revision of the contrib.  I will also start a Related Projects wiki (if we don't
already have one) with pointers to the contrib modules that folks have volunteered to keep
developing elsewhere.

Cheers,
Nige

On Jan 30, 2011, at 7:42 PM, Nigel Daley wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Now that http://apache-extras.org is launched (https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/the_apache_software_foundation_launches)
I'd like to start a discussion on moving contrib components out of common, mapreduce, and
hdfs.

> These contrib components complicate the builds, cause test failures that nobody seems
to care about, have releases that are tied to Hadoop's long release cycles, etc.  Most folks
I've talked with agree that these contrib components would be better served by being pulled
out of Hadoop and hosted elsewhere. The new apache-extras code hosting site seems like a natural
*default* location for migrating these contrib projects.  Perhaps some should graduate from
contrib to src (ie from contrib to core of the project they're included in).  If folks agree,
we'll need to come up with a mapping of contrib component to it's final destination and file
a jira.