hadoop-general mailing list archives

From "Owen O'Malley" <omal...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Abandon failmon Common contrib
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2011 16:56:52 GMT
On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 1:40 AM, Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org> wrote:

> On 09/02/11 17:18, Nigel Daley wrote:
>
>> I think the PMC should abandon the failmon common contrib component.  It's
>> last meaningful contribution was it's original commit in August of 2008:

+1

> I'm not sure that apache-extras is the right place. I'd more interested in
>> putting it to the apache attic and making sure that the svn to git bridge
>> works for them, so anyone who wants to fork it can do it by typing git clone

This is just a vote to remove it from Hadoop. If someone decides to adopt
it, they can choose where to host it (github, sourceforge, google code, or
apache extras, etc.). Since the code was in subversion, it will always be
available in the revision from before it was deleted.

> * keeps the code under the ASF, makes it easier to go live

Apache extras isn't under the ASF in any meaningful sense. Projects under
Apache extras do not have any restrictions on their governance model or even
software license. In particular, there are no PMCs over in Apache extras.

> we have an attic, so let's move it there.

Attic is for projects that have been retired. This is just a contrib
component that we are voting on retiring.

-- Owen