hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eric Sammer <esam...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Abandon fuse-dfs HDFS contrib
Date Fri, 11 Feb 2011 19:46:16 GMT
I see these votes as a desire to simply not develop this code under the
Hadoop project, not to kill the code base. I believe the general intention
is to "clean up" the project so it passes the "do one thing and do it well"
rule (or "develop one thing and develop it well"). Projects that are related
such as fuse-dfs, mrunit, and so on should and must exist. The question (and
vote) is simply should it be within Hadoop proper.

I think they can thrive in the incubator or wherever the majority of active
contributors wish to host it (although Owen has made the good point about
visibility and community development features of the ASF). My (non-binding)
vote is +1.

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 2:37 PM, Grant Mackey <gmackey@cs.ucf.edu> wrote:

> As a university researcher for file systems, having the fuse-dfs code makes
> life easy when trying to run i/o benchmark apps. I would hate to see it go.
> Here's my -1
>
>  - Grant
>

> Quoting Nigel Daley <ndaley@mac.com>:
>
>  I think the PMC should abandon the fuse-dfs HDFS contrib component.  It's
>> last meaningful contribution was March 2010:
>>
>> HDFS-961. dfs_readdir incorrectly parses paths. Contributed by Eli
>> Collins.
>>
>> There are 18 unresolved contrib/fuse-dfs issues in Jira, none of them
>> Patch Available.
>>
>> Here is my +1.
>>
>> Nige
>>

> Grant Mackey