hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eric Sammer <esam...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Abandon mrunit MapReduce contrib
Date Fri, 11 Feb 2011 17:04:48 GMT
On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 11:48 AM, Owen O'Malley <omalley@apache.org> wrote:

> On Feb 11, 2011, at 8:02 AM, Eric Sammer wrote:
>
>  - allow mrunit to have its own release cycle. This is, I think, the most
>>

>  important.
>>

> If you submit your work to Apache we can evaluate it for inclusion in the
> 0.20.100 branch to get your changes released in a timely manner.

I'm thinking in general (beyond the next immediate release). Independent of
where mrunit goes, I think it should leave the contrib tree to facilitate
light weight releases (the dependency on Hadoop proper is a public facing
API - a pure client). I think most projects could benefit from this with the
exception of things that are tightly coupled to Hadoop releases or touch
non-public APIs.

>  I would actually prefer to move it to Extras or Incubator and leave this
>> within the ASF.
>>

> Extras is **NOT** inside of the ASF. Extras is a source hosting system for
> non-Apache projects that are related to Apache projects.

Got it. Thanks for correcting me. I only mentioned it because someone
suggested it to me initially.

> Right now, I picked github because of the ability to easily
> collaborate with others (and to use git).

I agree that it is unfortunate that Apache doesn't yet support read-write

--
Eric Sammer
twitter: esammer