hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move common, hdfs, mapreduce contrib components to apache-extras.org or elsewhere
Date Fri, 11 Feb 2011 10:03:57 GMT

Move it away from TRUNK so it doesn't affect builds is a much better
(and simpler) solution. If someone wants to revive it, he can within
the bounds of Apache Hadoop and will become a part of the Hadoop
community, which would be good.
If you'd move it off-site, if the code ever gets new contributors,
it's hard to integrate them (code and contributors) into Hadoop again.

AFAIUI, apache-extras is for placing non-Apache code closer to the
related Apache projects, not for moving our code away from our own

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 04:42, Nigel Daley <ndaley@mac.com> wrote:
> Folks,
> Now that http://apache-extras.org is launched (https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/the_apache_software_foundation_launches)
I'd like to start a discussion on moving contrib components out of common, mapreduce, and
> These contrib components complicate the builds, cause test failures that nobody seems
to care about, have releases that are tied to Hadoop's long release cycles, etc.  Most folks
I've talked with agree that these contrib components would be better served by being pulled
out of Hadoop and hosted elsewhere. The new apache-extras code hosting site seems like a natural
*default* location for migrating these contrib projects.  Perhaps some should graduate from
contrib to src (ie from contrib to core of the project they're included in).  If folks agree,
we'll need to come up with a mapping of contrib component to it's final destination and file
a jira.
> Here are the contrib components by project (hopefully I didn't miss any).
> Common Contrib:
>  failmon
>  hod
>  test