hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Brian Bockelman <bbock...@cse.unl.edu>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Abandon fuse-dfs HDFS contrib
Date Fri, 11 Feb 2011 17:38:06 GMT

On Feb 11, 2011, at 10:59 AM, M. C. Srivas wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 9:57 PM, Nigel Daley <ndaley@mac.com> wrote:

>> It's
>>>>

>>> I think we should hold on to this one until there is a reasonable
>>> replacement. -1
>>
>> If a reasonable replacement was developed elsewhere, would you change your
>> vote?  I believe some folks were interested in developing this elsewhere.
>>

> Looks like lot of folks are using the current one, so why not wait until new
> one is submitted (and it works)?
>
> Just because there are bugs against fuse-dfs that haven't been fixed in a
> while doesn't make it useless. There are bugs open against Hadoop that
> haven't been worked on for a long time either.

Indeed - and I would volunteer to clean house if given the time.

I've been browsing through the open issues.  A lot could be knocked out easily; most are improvement
requests.

The contrib is used by folks in the community; it works well for them.  Typically, it only
will need to be updated when the libhdfs header changes or when bugs are found.  It can use
some TLC, not removal.

Brian