hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Nigel Daley <nda...@mac.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Abandon fuse-dfs HDFS contrib
Date Fri, 11 Feb 2011 16:50:39 GMT

On Feb 11, 2011, at 7:33 AM, Owen O'Malley wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 9:57 PM, Nigel Daley <ndaley@mac.com> wrote:
>
> If a reasonable replacement was developed elsewhere, would you change your
>> vote?  I believe some folks were interested in developing this elsewhere.
>>

> It would depend. As I have said before, our goal as a PMC is to produce
> useful Hadoop releases. Pulling out functionality that users require makes
> the Hadoop releases less useful. Making users go to 20 different sites to
> download compatible versions of the different components, although it helps
> aggregating companies like RedHat, is an anti-goal.

I wasn't aware that RedHat was producing an aggregated release.

If these components are required, why are they in contrib?  Feel free to start a vote to move
this component to core or incubator.

Why is this an anti-goal of Hadoop?  Did you mean non-goal?  Hadoop is NOT the Big Data Stack.
 We're not responsible for integrating Pig, HBase, Hive, ZK, and all these contribs into one
package.  If you'd like to propose a Big Data Stack integration project to the incubator I
suspect you'll have a lot of support from folks in this community. That could be a really
compelling project.  Until that happens, there's obvious value for users to use an aggregated,
integrated Big Data Stack type package from companies like Cloudera.

> That said, if projects are active enough splitting them out into other
> Apache projects makes sense. Chukwa, HBase, Hive, Hive, Pig, and Zookeeper
> are wonderful examples of related projects where we've moved them out of
> Hadoop and their communities are healthier for the move. Moving actively
> used components into non-Apache managed projects, including Apache Extras,
> is an anti-goal.

We seem to have trouble creating releases of core Hadoop.  Why saddle ourselves with these
ancillary components that are not core?  Sure, I'd love to see some of these move to incubator
-- but I'm not signing up to do that.

Cheers,
Nige