hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer <awittena...@linkedin.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Abandon hod Common contrib
Date Fri, 11 Feb 2011 17:48:22 GMT

On Feb 10, 2011, at 6:51 PM, Nigel Daley wrote:

> I think the PMC should abandon the hod common contrib component.  It's last meaningful
contribution was February 2009:

> HADOOP-2898. Provide an option to specify a port range for Hadoop services provisioned
by HOD. Contributed by Peeyush Bishnoi.

> There are 44 unresolved contrib/hod issues in Jira, 1 of them Patch Available since November
2009 (HADOOP-6369).

-1

a) I don't think hod is actually part of any unit tests, so including it would likely only
be a burden on the tarball size.
b) The edu community uses this quite extensively, evidenced by the topic coming up on the
mailing lists at least once every two months or so and has for years.  Can't say that about
the other contrib modules other than the schedulers and streaming.
c) The community that does use it has even submitted a patch that we've ignored.
d) With SGE in flux, there is no equivalent functionality as far as I'm aware.