hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Yahoo focusing on Apache Hadoop, discontinuing "The Yahoo Distribution of Hadoop"
Date Mon, 14 Feb 2011 21:34:03 GMT

On Feb 11, 2011, at 2:56 PM, Owen O'Malley wrote:

> On Jan 31, 2011, at 7:27 PM, Eric Baldeschwieler wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, we now have to sort out how to contribute several
>> person-years worth of work to Apache to let us unwind the Yahoo! git
>> repositories.  We currently run two lines of Hadoop development, our
>> sustaining program (hadoop-0.20-sustaining) and hadoop-future.
>
> I also plan to start pushing the hadoop-future work into a branch
> called yahoo-merge(?)  as individual commits from our internal git
> repository. The goal of creating the branch is to enable faster review
> and discussion. These patches will be individually run through the
> jira, review, and commit process to be added to trunk.

As the final installment in this process, I've started a discussion on
us contributing a re-factor of Map-Reduce in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-279

.

We have a prototype we'd like to commit to a branch soon, where we
look forward to feedback. From there on, we would love to collaborate
to get it committed to trunk.

thanks,
Arun