hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Nigel Daley <nda...@mac.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move common, hdfs, mapreduce contrib components to apache-extras.org or elsewhere
Date Sat, 12 Feb 2011 06:01:21 GMT
+1.  And only include them as source in releases.

Nige

On Feb 11, 2011, at 10:12 AM, Tom White wrote:

> For contrib components that we elect not to remove, I suggest that we
> remove them from the main build, so that failures in a contrib
> component don't hinder the main build and release. This is what
> ZooKeeper does, for example.
>
> Tom
>
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 2:03 AM, Bernd Fondermann
> <bernd.fondermann@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> -1.
>>
>> Move it away from TRUNK so it doesn't affect builds is a much better
>> (and simpler) solution. If someone wants to revive it, he can within
>> the bounds of Apache Hadoop and will become a part of the Hadoop
>> community, which would be good.
>> If you'd move it off-site, if the code ever gets new contributors,
>> it's hard to integrate them (code and contributors) into Hadoop again.
>>
>> AFAIUI, apache-extras is for placing non-Apache code closer to the
>> related Apache projects, not for moving our code away from our own
>> premises.
>>
>>  Bernd
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 04:42, Nigel Daley <ndaley@mac.com> wrote:
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> Now that http://apache-extras.org is launched (https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/the_apache_software_foundation_launches)
I'd like to start a discussion on moving contrib components out of common, mapreduce, and
hdfs.

>>> These contrib components complicate the builds, cause test failures that nobody
seems to care about, have releases that are tied to Hadoop's long release cycles, etc.  Most
folks I've talked with agree that these contrib components would be better served by being
pulled out of Hadoop and hosted elsewhere. The new apache-extras code hosting site seems like
a natural *default* location for migrating these contrib projects.  Perhaps some should graduate
from contrib to src (ie from contrib to core of the project they're included in).  If folks
agree, we'll need to come up with a mapping of contrib component to it's final destination
and file a jira.