hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Nigel Daley <nda...@mac.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Abandon hod Common contrib
Date Sat, 12 Feb 2011 02:17:50 GMT

On Feb 11, 2011, at 9:48 AM, Allen Wittenauer wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2011, at 6:51 PM, Nigel Daley wrote:
>
>> I think the PMC should abandon the hod common contrib component.  It's last meaningful
contribution was February 2009:

>> HADOOP-2898. Provide an option to specify a port range for Hadoop services provisioned
by HOD. Contributed by Peeyush Bishnoi.

>> There are 44 unresolved contrib/hod issues in Jira, 1 of them Patch Available since
November 2009 (HADOOP-6369).

> -1
>
> a) I don't think hod is actually part of any unit tests, so including it would likely
only be a burden on the tarball size.

Not true.  HOD has python unit tests and is the reason our builds have dependencies on python.

> b) The edu community uses this quite extensively, evidenced by the topic coming up on
the mailing lists at least once every two months or so and has for years.  Can't say that
about the other contrib modules other than the schedulers and streaming.

Then they are using old version of Hadoop.  AFAICT HOD does not work with 0.20 or beyond.

> c) The community that does use it has even submitted a patch that we've ignored.

Which means the committers of this project gave up on it long ago.

Nige