hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bf_...@brainlounge.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Abandon hdfsproxy HDFS contrib
Date Fri, 18 Feb 2011 19:55:09 GMT
On 18.02.11 17:11, Allen Wittenauer wrote:
> On Feb 18, 2011, at 2:11 AM, Bernd Fondermann wrote:
>> I don't know how many Y-employees are working on H internally. Only
>> the contributors can sort that out.
> Did Carol Bartz run over your puppy or something?

Something, definitively. I assume EOR.

 > You don't appear to realize that pretty much all the
> major companies that house the major committers
 > are doing essentially the same thing:
> work on a major feature patch with their internal
> teams then offer up the patch mostly complete, having
> dealt with all of the minor nits on the way due to
> having field tested it for real.

I realize that. I even critized it: The fact that a closed group
develops code until they donate it to the project in smaller or larger
chunks. Whoever these closed groups are, I don't make a difference.

> The patches still get discussed before getting committed.
> In some cases, this has resulted in either the patch
> getting rejected/not committed or reworked.

Sounds good.

> I sometimes wonder if the people who troll the team
> realize that Hadoop is essentially a distributed, networked
> operating system.

I realize that.

> That requires a higher level of quality control than a simple framework.

Which again is only accessible to a closed group. Which excludes the
rest of the committership.

View raw message