hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Abandon mrunit MapReduce contrib
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2011 11:13:33 GMT
On 11/02/11 22:26, Eric Sammer wrote:
> Just to add to the option of going to incubator, I'm fine with that as well.
> Github was an easy thing to get started and I was under the impression we
> needed some greater degree of committer diversity and, frankly, a bigger
> project. If mrunit is a candidate, keeping this under the ASF umbrella is
> more than fine with me.

There is a git repository coming up at Apache, with global read and
LDAP-authenticated write:

I know a lot of the in house Hadoop teams use Git for SCM, so I think
having the big Hadoop projects work on Git too makes sense -it would
certainly help Owen and team get their changes over if their branches
could be merged.

Starting off with a small but active Hadoop family project would be the
way to start this, and MRUnit does appeal as a first step
  -active development
  -fast and decoupled release cycle
  -off the critical path

I'll volunteer to go down as a committer with the usual caveat that I am
over-committed and unless I have a direct personal need to touch the
code I'll be effectively offline. Tom White can vouch for that, given my
engagement in Whirr.

Here then are my votes

  +1 to move Mrunit into incubator
  +1 to experiment with mrunit being live in Apache's Git repository.

-steve