hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Vinod KV <vino...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Abandon hod Common contrib
Date Mon, 14 Feb 2011 06:15:44 GMT

Hemanth Yamijala and myself were the main contributors to HOD.

Answers to few of the questions:
  - IIRC, Hod needed python 2.5 (or some such latest) which was not
available on Hudson. The tests gracefully run only when that version is
available. We always used to run these tests on dev boxes before pushing
patches. May be the versions upgraded after that, but I am not sure.
  - HOD wasn't tested extensively with Hadoop 0.20 and beyond. But I
could successfully run HOD clusters with Hadoop 20. Thing that could
affect the run are the configuration properties, environment variables
and the scripts which at that time were backwards compatible. If some
properties were removed in 21/22 breaking compatibility with pre 20
versions (very much possible), that will warrant fixing HOD. Otherwise,
things should work as they are.

Sure would like to know any interest with the users.

On Saturday 12 February 2011 10:45 AM, Owen O'Malley wrote:
> On Feb 11, 2011, at 6:17 PM, Nigel Daley wrote:
>>> a) I don't think hod is actually part of any unit tests, so
>>> including it would likely only be a burden on the tarball size.
>> Not true.  HOD has python unit tests and is the reason our builds
>> have dependencies on python.
> But Allen's point is that I don't recall ever seeing HOD test failures
> causing the build to fail.
>>> b) The edu community uses this quite extensively, evidenced by the
>>> topic coming up on the mailing lists at least once every two months
>>> or so and has for years.  Can't say that about the other contrib
>>> modules other than the schedulers and streaming.
>> Then they are using old version of Hadoop.  AFAICT HOD does not work
>> with 0.20 or beyond.
> Out of curiosity, what goes wrong? Clearly nothing major has changed
> in starting up a mapreduce cluster in a very long time.
>>> c) The community that does use it has even submitted a patch that
>>> we've ignored.
>> Which means the committers of this project gave up on it long ago.
> There are also some patches on core Hadoop that have been sitting for
> a long time, so I don't think that is a valid inference.
> I would love to hear some of the people who are using HOD speak up and
> give us their feedback.
> -- Owen

View raw message