hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Owen O'Malley <omal...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Yahoo focusing on Apache Hadoop, discontinuing "The Yahoo Distribution of Hadoop"
Date Fri, 11 Feb 2011 22:56:18 GMT

On Jan 31, 2011, at 7:27 PM, Eric Baldeschwieler wrote:

> Unfortunately, we now have to sort out how to contribute several
> person-years worth of work to Apache to let us unwind the Yahoo! git
> repositories.  We currently run two lines of Hadoop development, our
> sustaining program (hadoop-0.20-sustaining) and hadoop-future.

As Eric mentioned, we have several person years worth of development
to contribute to Apache. Arun has started that process by creating the
branch-0.20-security branch. I plan on pushing the individual patches
to branch-0.20-security-patches and then when it is identical with
Arun's branch, I'll rename mine to branch-0.20-security.

I also plan to start pushing the hadoop-future work into a branch
called yahoo-merge(?)  as individual commits from our internal git
repository. The goal of creating the branch is to enable faster review
and discussion. These patches will be individually run through the
jira, review, and commit process to be added to trunk.

-- Owen