hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <had...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Abandon hdfsproxy HDFS contrib
Date Thu, 17 Feb 2011 18:27:35 GMT

On Feb 17, 2011, at 10:23 AM, Bernd Fondermann wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 14:58, Ian Holsman <hadoop@holsman.net> wrote:
>> Hi Bernd.
>>
>> On Feb 17, 2011, at 7:43 AM, Bernd Fondermann wrote:
>>>
>>> We have the very unfortunate situation here at Hadoop where Apache
>>> Hadoop is not the primary and foremost place of Hadoop development.
>>> Instead, code is developed internally at Yahoo and then contributed in
>>> (smaller or larger) chunks to Hadoop.
>>
>> This has been the situation in the past,
>> but as you can see in the last month, this has changed.
>>
>> Yahoo! has publicly committed to move their development into the main code base,
and you can see they have started doing this with the 20.100 branch,
>> and their recent commits to trunk.
>> Combine this with Nige taking on the 0.22 release branch, (and sheperding it into
a stable release) and I think we have are addressing your concerns.

>> They have also started bringing the discussions back on the list, see the recent
discussion about Jobtracker-nextgen Arun has re-started in MAPREDUCE-279.

>> I'm not saying it's perfect, but I think the major players understand there is an
issue, and they are *ALL* moving in the right direction.

> I enthusiastically would like to see your optimism be verified.
> Maybe I'm misreading the statements issued publicly, but I don't think
> that this is fully understood. I agree though that it's a move into
> the right direction.

I also hope to see more as well... and hopefully we will start seeing more and more of this
from everyone.