hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Owen O'Malley <omal...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move common, hdfs, mapreduce contrib components to apache-extras.org or elsewhere
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2011 07:19:08 GMT

On Jan 30, 2011, at 7:42 PM, Nigel Daley wrote:

> Now that http://apache-extras.org is launched (https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/the_apache_software_foundation_launches

> ) I'd like to start a discussion on moving contrib components out of
> common, mapreduce, and hdfs.

The PMC can't "move" code to Apache extras. It can only choose to
abandon code that it doesn't want to support any longer. As a separate
action some group of developers may create projects in Apache Extras
based on the code from Hadoop.

Therefore the question is really what if any code Hadoop wants to
abandon. That is a good question and one that we should ask ourselves
occasionally.

After a quick consideration, my personal list would look like:

failmon
fault injection
fuse-dfs
hod
kfs

Also note that pushing code out of Hadoop has a high cost. There are
at least 3 forks of the hadoop-gpl-compression code. That creates a
lot of confusion for the users. A lot of users never go to the work to
figure out which fork and branch of hadoop-gpl-compression work with
the version of Hadoop they installed.

-- Owen