hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Nigel Daley <nda...@mac.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Move common, hdfs, mapreduce contrib components to apache-extras.org or elsewhere
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2011 03:42:25 GMT
Folks,

Now that http://apache-extras.org is launched (https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/the_apache_software_foundation_launches)
I'd like to start a discussion on moving contrib components out of common, mapreduce, and
hdfs.

These contrib components complicate the builds, cause test failures that nobody seems to care
about, have releases that are tied to Hadoop's long release cycles, etc.  Most folks I've
talked with agree that these contrib components would be better served by being pulled out
of Hadoop and hosted elsewhere. The new apache-extras code hosting site seems like a natural
*default* location for migrating these contrib projects.  Perhaps some should graduate from
contrib to src (ie from contrib to core of the project they're included in).  If folks agree,
we'll need to come up with a mapping of contrib component to it's final destination and file
a jira.

Here are the contrib components by project (hopefully I didn't miss any).

Common Contrib:
  failmon
  hod
  test