hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eric Baldeschwieler <eri...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move project split down a level
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2011 18:54:28 GMT
Cool

---
E14 - via iPhone

On Jan 14, 2011, at 10:01 AM, "Nigel Daley" <ndaley@mac.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the offer Eric!  I agree it's the right time to mavenize, but I think we should
separate, but order, these two discussions/events.  This first, then mavenization.

> Cheers,
> Nige
>
> On Jan 14, 2011, at 9:32 AM, Eric Baldeschwieler wrote:
>
>> I'm a huge supporter of the idea. On a related note, we've been looking for the right
time to mavenize. Maybe we can do both together. We could pitch in a bunch of work on both
if we could get the timing right.

>> We've got a huge batch of commits in flight now, but if we can find something that
satisfied the 22 crowd after we sync in, we'd be happy to pitch in on unsplit and/or maven.

>> ---
>> E14 - via iPhone
>>
>> On Jan 14, 2011, at 5:43 AM, "Ian Holsman" <hadoop@holsman.net> wrote:
>>
>>> on that note... I propose we discuss un-splitting the project altogether.

set up), so it might slow down creation of a new branch, but its worth it.

on what and how we release Hadoop, I feel like the split needs an adjustment.  Many folks
I've talked to agree that the project split has caused us a splitting headache.  I think 1
relatively small change could alleviate some of that.

 Given that, they should be branched and released as a unit.  This SVN structure enforces
that and provides a more natural place to keep a top level build and pkg scripts that operate
across all 3 projects.