hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Milind Bhandarkar <mbhandar...@linkedin.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move common, hdfs, mapreduce contrib components to apache-extras.org or elsewhere
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2011 23:24:01 GMT
Owen,

I am surprised to not see jute (aka hadoop recordio) on this list.

- milind

On Jan 30, 2011, at 11:19 PM, Owen O'Malley wrote:

> On Jan 30, 2011, at 7:42 PM, Nigel Daley wrote:
>
>> Now that http://apache-extras.org is launched (https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/the_apache_software_foundation_launches)
I'd like to start a discussion on moving contrib components out of common, mapreduce, and
hdfs.

> The PMC can't "move" code to Apache extras. It can only choose to abandon code that it
doesn't want to support any longer. As a separate action some group of developers may create
projects in Apache Extras based on the code from Hadoop.

> Therefore the question is really what if any code Hadoop wants to abandon. That is a
good question and one that we should ask ourselves occasionally.

> After a quick consideration, my personal list would look like:
>
> failmon
> fault injection
> fuse-dfs
> hod
> kfs
>
> Also note that pushing code out of Hadoop has a high cost. There are at least 3 forks
of the hadoop-gpl-compression code. That creates a lot of confusion for the users. A lot of
users never go to the work to figure out which fork and branch of hadoop-gpl-compression work
with the version of Hadoop they installed.

> -- Owen

---
Milind Bhandarkar
mbhandarkar@linkedin.com