hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Owen O'Malley <omal...@apache.org>
Subject Re: email lists: too many or not enough?
Date Wed, 12 Jan 2011 18:08:56 GMT

On Jan 12, 2011, at 9:47 AM, Nigel Daley wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2011, at 8:35 PM, Nigel Daley wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 11, 2011, at 9:38 AM, Owen O'Malley wrote:
>>> We do try to move the questions off of general. It would be great
>>> if someone
>>> updated the website with the intended usage of each of the lists.
>>
>> Ok, I'll work on a page.
>
> Done. See the revamped http://hadoop.apache.org/mailing_lists.html
> Corrections welcome.  You must now click on general@ to see the
> subscription instructions (it's a new page).

I'd suggest segregating the list into 4 tables based on audience:

user questions:
common-user
hdfs-user
mapreduce-user
security - only for notifying the project of security vulnerabilities

project level announcements and discussions:
general

developer questions:
common-dev
hdfs-dev
mapreduce-dev

jira and subversion tracking for developers:
common-issues
common-commits
hdfs-issues
hdfs-commits