hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Nigel Daley <nda...@mac.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Move project split down a level
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2011 06:18:12 GMT
Folks,

As I look more at the impact of the common/MR/HDFS project split on what and how we release
Hadoop, I feel like the split needs an adjustment.  Many folks I've talked to agree that the
project split has caused us a splitting headache.  I think 1 relatively small change could
alleviate some of that.

CURRENT SVN REPO:

hadoop / [common, mapreduce, hdfs] / trunk
hadoop / [common, mapreduce, hdfs] / branches

PROPOSAL:

hadoop / trunk / [common, mapreduce, hdfs]
hadoop / branches / [common, mapreduce, hdfs]

We're a long way from releasing these 3 projects independently.  Given that, they should be
branched and released as a unit.  This SVN structure enforces that and provides a more natural
place to keep a top level build and pkg scripts that operate across all 3 projects.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Nige