hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Nigel Daley <nda...@mac.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move project split down a level
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2011 05:13:55 GMT

On Jan 14, 2011, at 11:53 AM, Tsz Wo (Nicholas), Sze wrote:

> This is a kind of an incompatible change: all the developers, QAs, release
> engineers and users have to change their local settings and scripts for this
> change.

I have a hard time believing this as I suspect the very small set of folks that test/deploy
post-project split releases (0.21/0.22/trunk) have been smashing the 3 projects back together
for test/deploy purposes on a cluster.  You *will* have to change your personal and your build
machine SVN checkout urls, but beyond that, the projects remain as-is in separate trees.
When we mavenize, that will perhaps cause the disruption you're mentioning, but that is a
separate issue/discussion from this one.

> Moreover, there are documentations, web pages and existing tools using
> the Apache svn URLs.

I sign up to correct the wiki, site, and Apache Hudson builds and build scripts (although
help is gratefully received).

> So it is a huge impact.  I am conservative on this since,
> as Konstantin mentioned, we risk to get into the same mess, and it will create
> more work for the community.

I don't believe we have exited from the previous mess.  This could actually help us do that
faster.  You may not have noticed that 0.21 was released as a single smashed together tar
ball.  0.22 IMO is heading for the same kind of release.

> Why do we want to enforce the releases as a unit, given that the long term
> target is to release these 3 projects independently?

Because that long term view is currently a fantasy with no real end in sight.

Nige