hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Nigel Daley <nda...@mac.com>
Subject Re: email lists: too many or not enough?
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2011 06:00:21 GMT
> That what common-user@ is for.

Is it?  AFAICT we don't try to move user discussions there.  Nor do I see it documented anywhere
that common-user@ is for cross hadoop user questions.  Also, FWIW, that list is documented
at hadoop.apache.org -> common -> developers -> mailing lists -- not very intuitive.

Nige

On Jan 10, 2011, at 9:51 PM, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 21:23, Eric Baldeschwieler <eric14@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
>> I'd love to have a list that covers most of what is on general (big topics on governance,
etc), but does not have usage questions on it.  I'd suggest creating a new list for that and
letting general become a general questions list.

> That what common-user@ is for.
>
>> On Jan 10, 2011, at 6:55 PM, Nigel Daley wrote:
>>
>>> This project has a lot of email lists [*] -- but I feel we're either missing
1 or 2 lists or we have too many.  Given all our lists, it's not clear which one we should
use to talk about cross project dev issues and cross project community/policy issues.  general@
has perhaps become a catch all list with user, dev, and community issues inter-mixed.  Is
that what we want?  Should we create more lists to break out these topics?  Live with the
current inter-mingling? Or consolidate some lists?

>>> security@
>>> private@
>>> common-user@
>>> common-dev@