hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eric Baldeschwieler <eri...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Hadoop Security Release off Yahoo! patchset
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2011 18:30:38 GMT
Yup. Letting people who want to contribute, do so a good meme!

A stable next release would be great. But orgs do sustaining on stable code releases for a
lot of very good reasons.

A next Hadoop 21+ of this code quality is almost a year away in my opinion.

---
E14 - via iPhone

On Jan 14, 2011, at 10:05 AM, "Jakob Homan" <jghoman@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On another thread discussing hadoop-0.20-append as a separate branch, most people
agreed that new features shouldn't be added to 0.20, now we have a major feature and we are
all gung ho for it..

> Not all are.  I'm against it for the all the same reasons I was
> against 20 append.  This is also being used as a wedge to get the
> append work in as .200.  My position is that every iota effort of
> releasing another 20 branch is an iota not spent on getting us a
> kick-ass 22.  20 was great, and we had a lot of wonderful times
> together, but it's time to move on and see other releases.
>
> But, this is a volunteer effort, and if others want to put the effort
> in, they're free to do so.
> -jg
>
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 9:32 AM, Nigel Daley <ndaley@mac.com> wrote:
>> Yup, I'll say it again.  The process ain't perfect but it's good enough IMO. Thank
you Yahoo! for your contribution.

>> Clearly these patch will need review before commit when going into trunk.
>>
>> Let's move on to 0.22.
>>
>> Nige
>>
>> On Jan 14, 2011, at 9:20 AM, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:
>>
>>> I tend to second most of Ian's points here.

opposed to a series of smaller patches).