hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Konstantin Boudnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move project split down a level
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2011 17:43:48 GMT
On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 09:32, Eric Baldeschwieler <eric14@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> I'm a huge supporter of the idea. On a related note, we've been looking for the right
time to mavenize. Maybe we can do both together. We could pitch in a bunch of work on both
if we could get the timing right.

Adding maveninzation - a great effort by itself with a lot of
potential pitfalls - into the splitting frenzy has a good chances to
be pretty disruptive for individual developers. I well remember how
people were screaming because virtually nothing worked in past-split
time and they had to invent and learn new tricks to merely do their
work.

Being a great tool Maven has a relatively steep learning curve which
won't ease the fact the projects layout have changed again and
everyone will have to adjust their workbenches to address that fact.

I suggest these two events are better be well separated in time.
  Cos

> We've got a huge batch of commits in flight now, but if we can find something that satisfied
the 22 crowd after we sync in, we'd be happy to pitch in on unsplit and/or maven.

> ---
> E14 - via iPhone
>
> On Jan 14, 2011, at 5:43 AM, "Ian Holsman" <hadoop@holsman.net> wrote:
>
>> on that note... I propose we discuss un-splitting the project altogether.
>>
>> On Jan 14, 2011, at 3:39 AM, Jakob Homan wrote:
>>
>>> +1. The project split is a lie.

up), so it might slow down creation of a new branch, but its worth it.

on what and how we release Hadoop, I feel like the split needs an adjustment.  Many folks
I've talked to agree that the project split has caused us a splitting headache.  I think
1 relatively small change could alleviate some of that.

that, they should be branched and released as a unit.  This SVN structure enforces that and
provides a more natural place to keep a top level build and pkg scripts that operate across
all 3 projects.