hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eli Collins <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move common, hdfs, mapreduce contrib components to apache-extras.org or elsewhere
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2011 06:02:24 GMT
+1

Agree w Eric's comments around defaults and documenting them.

How about setting a date where the projects are created on apache
extras and removed from contrib unless someone volunteers to maintain
them?  I agree apache extras should be the default unless the person
volunteering to maintain the project wants to host it elsewhere.

Btw I think raid should also probably move to core, it's actively worked on.

I'll volunteer to create a project for fuse-dfs.

Thanks,
Eli

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 7:42 PM, Nigel Daley <ndaley@mac.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Now that http://apache-extras.org is launched (https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/the_apache_software_foundation_launches)
I'd like to start a discussion on moving contrib components out of common, mapreduce, and
hdfs.

> These contrib components complicate the builds, cause test failures that nobody seems
to care about, have releases that are tied to Hadoop's long release cycles, etc.  Most folks
I've talked with agree that these contrib components would be better served by being pulled
out of Hadoop and hosted elsewhere. The new apache-extras code hosting site seems like a natural
*default* location for migrating these contrib projects.  Perhaps some should graduate from
contrib to src (ie from contrib to core of the project they're included in).  If folks agree,
we'll need to come up with a mapping of contrib component to it's final destination and file
a jira.