hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move project split down a level
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2011 17:17:30 GMT
On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 8:51 AM, Owen O'Malley <omalley@apache.org> wrote:

> On Jan 13, 2011, at 10:18 PM, Nigel Daley wrote:
>
>  Folks,
>>
>> As I look more at the impact of the common/MR/HDFS project split on what
>> and how we release Hadoop, I feel like the split needs an adjustment.  Many
>> folks I've talked to agree that the project split has caused us a splitting
>> headache.  I think 1 relatively small change could alleviate some of that.
>>
>> CURRENT SVN REPO:
>>
>> hadoop / [common, mapreduce, hdfs] / trunk
>> hadoop / [common, mapreduce, hdfs] / branches
>>
>> PROPOSAL:
>>
>> hadoop / trunk / [common, mapreduce, hdfs]
>> hadoop / branches / [common, mapreduce, hdfs]
>>

> Moving the source trees back together is ok, but will cause a fair amount
> of churn for those of us that depend on the git versions of the repository.
> Using Todd's hack may be able to fix it again at least for each individual
> user.

Yep, I think we can set this up in a reasonable way with grafts. I'm happy
to write a little shell script we can put on the wiki for git users that
would make the history look sane.

Depending on how the git mirrors work, we might even be able to get the
official git.apache.org one to work, too. If we decide to go forward with
this plan I'll talk to the relevant INFRA folks and see about that.

-Todd
--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera