hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Mag Gam <magaw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: decommission a rack
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2011 02:24:57 GMT
Thanks for the response.

I did decommission the server and it took couple of minutes. However,
I see the server in my "Dead Datanotes" page. How can I completely
forget about this box?

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Segel, Mike <msegel@navteq.com> wrote:
> Change your topology script?
>
> One thing about rack awareness. You never want to have an unbalanced configuration. The
caveat is if your uplinks between the ToR Switch  are 'fat' enough. (4 10GBe should do it.)

> If you watched your system with the one machine on a separate rack (assuming it was also
on a separate switch) you'd see a major network bottle neck. (We use Ganglia)

> If you're seeing the rack count wrong, you could just bounce the cloud and it should
show only two.

> Note: Deprecating a machine can take a long time. You may want to consider just killing
the node, waiting till the cluster recognizes that its down and I believe just kicking off
an FSCK or maybe running the balancer program will clean that up faster than deprecating.
(YMMV)

> HTH
>
> -Mike

for the use of the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication,
or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication
in error, please notify the sender and delete/destroy the original message and any copy of
it from your computer or paper files.