hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Konstantin Boudnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: email lists: too many or not enough?
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2011 17:06:34 GMT
On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 22:00, Nigel Daley <ndaley@mac.com> wrote:
>> That what common-user@ is for.
>
> Is it?  AFAICT we don't try to move user discussions there.  Nor do I see it documented
anywhere that common-user@ is for cross hadoop user questions.  Also, FWIW, that list is
intuitive.

While I in agreement with your logic above.. Let's see... If I have a
use question about Hadoop (not HDFS nor MR) where would I go? general@
doesn't sound very convincing... A-ha! common-user@.... *firing up
email client*

Instead of creating new lists to add an insult to the injury perhaps
we shall just make the intention for the existing ones more apparent?
E.g. re-organize 'mailing lists' section or something? I believe
developers, in general, are able to find information on their own.
Users sometimes demonstrate a lack of such ability ;) And we are well
beyond 'dev. only' community as far as I can see.

Cos

> Nige
>

> On Jan 10, 2011, at 9:51 PM, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 21:23, Eric Baldeschwieler <eric14@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
>>> I'd love to have a list that covers most of what is on general (big topics on
governance, etc), but does not have usage questions on it.  I'd suggest creating a new list
for that and letting general become a general questions list.

>> That what common-user@ is for.

1 or 2 lists or we have too many.  Given all our lists, it's not clear which one we should
use to talk about cross project dev issues and cross project community/policy issues.  general@
has perhaps become a catch all list with user, dev, and community issues inter-mixed.  Is
that what we want?  Should we create more lists to break out these topics?  Live with the
current inter-mingling? Or consolidate some lists?